Innovative landscape architect Wolfgang Oehme, who included more than a million ornamental grasses in his designs, considered Molinias to be some of the very best performers of them all. Certainly the most kinetically exciting grass, Molinia’s dense arching tufts of deep green foliage offer sturdy stems holding delicate panicles that eventually age to a straw color and last for months. To heighten the drama, consider providing them with plenty of room and a dark background.
A boldly architectural grass thought to be one of famed plant breeder Ernest Pagel's last selections, 'Cordoba' stands nearly 7 ft. tall, a monolithic beacon of dramatic proportions. Noble green blades construct the substantial moderately upright leafy mound, releasing gently arching erect stems and sheer purple-hued seed heads. Its enticing shades of yellow herald autumn with sunshine- soaked leaves and butterscotch-colored waning inflorescences. Recently rediscovered and introduced by Intrinsic Perennial Gardens, this vigorous easily cultivated Molinia relishes cool moist conditions, appreciates additional water during hot spells, makes a statuesque stand-alone and steals the show when massed.
Size: 6' 0" – 7' 0" high x 3' 0" wide.
Hardy to zone 5.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Bergfreund’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Karl Foerster’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Skyracer’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Staefa’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Heidebraut’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Moorflamme’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Strahlenquelle’
- Molinia caerulea ‘Dauerstrahl’
- Molinia caerulea ‘Moorhexe’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Purple Infusion’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Transparent’
- Molinia litoralis ‘Windspiel’