How to Order
Note: At present, we are unable to ship plants to Florida, Hawaii, or anywhere outside the USA.
There are several ways to place an order with us:
- Use our garden cart by clicking on the "Add to Cart" links for the plants you want.
- Figure your order and phone us at (707) 937-1130 or (707) 937-1235.
- E-mail your order to us. (Do not send CC info via email! It is not secure. We will call you.)
- Download our order form, fill it out, and mail it with a check or CC info. (See below for the address.)
To receive a printed copy of our catalog please send $3.00 to:
Digging Dog Nursery · 31101 Middle Ridge Rd. · Albion, CA 95410
Policies & Shipping info
You may order T-shirts and gift cards without the plant shipping minimum of $60. The cost of the above items includes shipping and handling.
We take a lot of time to make sure your plants will arrive in excellent condition. Our plants are packed with the utmost care. Their intact roots are placed in plastic bags, then each plant is securely cushioned in a bed of shredded paper.
Minimum order for plants is $60.00.
For refunds under $5.00, a credit memo will be issued.
Unless otherwise requested, we ship UPS to western states and UPS 3-day Air or USPS Priority Airmail to the rest of the USA.
Requests For Shipping Dates:
While we do our best to meet your requested shipping date, plant availability and extreme hot or cold temperatures may affect the exact week your order will be shipped.
Plant orders are packed on Monday and picked up by UPS each Tuesday morning. To ensure your plants arrive in good condition, they must reach their destination by the end of the week, so that they don't spend the weekend in a sweltering warehouse somewhere. Thus, most plant shipments leave our nursery on Tuesdays, especially those traveling cross-country via 3-DAY AIR.
Occasionally, we do ship on Wednesdays to California customers or to customers who have requested 2-DAY AIR.
If you would like your shipment sent a particular week, your order, including payment information, must be placed no later than 2:00 pm the previous Friday.
We cannot make changes to orders any later than noon the Saturday before the order is to be shipped.
We are now shipping year round to most areas in entire USA, weather permitting.
Region 1 (CA, ID, NV, OR, WA):
UPS Ground; $60–$69 = $15.95
$68.52 and up add 23%.
Region 2 (All other states):
UPS 3-Day Air; $60–$74 = $28.25
$73.52 and up add 39%.
USPS Priority Airmail for smaller orders; Flat rate: $15.00 & $19.75
There is also a handling and packing fee of $5.75 on all plant orders.
More Shipping Information
- Due to changing fuel costs, shipping fees may be subject to additional charges.
- A $5.25 charge per box may be added to multiple box orders.
- Boxes over 30" in length may have an additional fee applied.
- A surcharge may be applied to tree orders.
- West Coast orders may be shipped either UPS or USPS Priority; orders to the rest of the country may be shipped either USPS Priority or UPS Three Day Air.
Your orders will be acknowledged within 10 days with our intended shipping date.
Please submit full payment in the form of personal check, money order, or credit card (Visa-Master Charge), including shipping costs with your order.
Sometimes a plant may be unavailable due to propagation difficulties, severe winter weather, or unanticipated demand. Please help us fill your orders by listing a few alternate plants which we may substitute for a plant that is unavailable.
Phone Orders & Inquiries:
Call 707-937-1130 or 707-937-1235 between 9:00 am-5:00 pm, PST., Monday through Saturday. Please have your order form filled out and credit card handy.
Anytime: 707-937-2480 We ship well-established plants which are grown in the following container sizes: Occasionally, plants will be available in liners (2-¼ square x 3-¼ deep) or landscape plugs, and will be discounted $1.00-$1.50 off the regular price. Digging Dog plants are removed from their containers, and their firm, intact rootballs are placed inside plastic bags prior to shipping.
We ship well-established plants which are grown in the following container sizes:
Occasionally, plants will be available in liners (2-¼ square x 3-¼ deep) or landscape plugs, and will be discounted $1.00-$1.50 off the regular price.
Digging Dog plants are removed from their containers, and their firm, intact rootballs are placed inside plastic bags prior to shipping.
Here at Digging Dog, our top priority is that you are delighted with the plants we ship to you. To help guarantee their success, please make sure they are suited for your area. While this may seem like a somewhat daunting task, there are some excellent ways to research the plants in question:
- Using an Internet search engine, enter the name of the plant in double quotes followed by the word "zones", "zone" or "hardy".
- GardenWeb is also a great resource. Upon finding a forum for your region, you will be rewarded with a wealth of useful information.
- The USDA web site can provide additional help in determining your growing zone with its easy-to-read map. You could also contact a nearby botanical garden, college or local County Agricultural Agency.
We take extra steps to make certain the transition from our nursery to your garden is as painless as possible for both you and your new plants. We blend our own potting mix, which includes a local sandy loam.
We do not spray herbicides or fungicides and use organic products to control most pests and diseases. All of our plants are either grown outside or in open-air cold frames, save for a few enclosed greenhouses that protect cuttings, seed crops and newly potted plants. This exposure to the natural elements creates a strong and vigorous plant that is ready to dig its roots into your garden and take off!
Please know that we will ship any plant to any location in the continental US except for Florida (see current agricultural restrictions) just about any time of year. Therefore, it is up to you to make sure that the plants you choose are appropriate for your climate zone, as well as when the best time to receive them is. Utilizing the resources above should make responsible plant shopping a cinch and assure the sweet success of a flourishing landscape.
Shared Customer Responsibility
- We will not accept responsibility for the condition of the plants if you have requested/accepted a ship date during extreme hot or cold weather conditions. Please contact us no later than the Friday before your ship date to reschedule if extreme weather conditions are anticipated in your delivery area. If you agree to the ship date, you assume responsibility for the conditions of your plants.
- In all fairness, we cannot be held responsible for the failure of your plants once you have installed them. Too many cultural and climatic factors, which we simply cannot control, such as: soil preparation and fertility; pests; irrigation; light exposure; and erratic weather all have an impact on your plants.
When you place an order and one or several of the plants that you have ordered are currently unavailable, there are several options. You can select a substitute, postpone shipment until all of the plants are ready, or place a new order including the currently unavailable plant or plants. We will waive the minimum plant total and handling fee, and reduce shipping charges on this new order.
- We guarantee that our plants are correctly named, in excellent condition, and healthy and ready to plant, when they're packed for shipping. Your plants are packed with the utmost care to ensure their healthy and safe arrival.
- If you have concerns about a particular plant, please notify us as soon as you unpack your order, do not throw the plant away, and forward a photo of the plant in question to email@example.com within 7 days. Reimbursement cannot be processed without a digital image.
- In all fairness, we cannot be held responsible for the failure of your plants once you have installed them. Too many cultural and climatic factors, which we simply cannot control – such as soil preparation and fertility, pests, irrigation, light exposure, and erratic weather – all have an impact on your plants.
- We cannot be held liable for any amount greater than the purchase price of the plant in question.
- Shipping and handling charges are non-refundable.
Search for Plants in Our Catalog
Enter the name, or part of the name, of a plant you are looking for: