Digging Dog Nursery is a family-owned nursery and mail-order business situated on the Mendocino Coast in Northern California. Our nursery offers healthy and vigorous plants grown in our own custom potting mix that includes a sterilized sandy loam. We propagate the majority of the plants we sell.
For more than 20 years, we have been offering a selection of tried and true garden performers, as well as many unique and easily grown varieties that emphasize long blooming periods, and year-round appeal with an array of buds, blooms, seedheads, berries, intriguing foliage, or bark.
In the following pages, you will find a versatile and extraordinary collection—a plethora of plants for formal or informal spaces, as well as naturalized meadows, shady woodland areas, Mediterranean and water-wise gardens, the rockery, and even some market plantings with a focus on fresh or dried arrangements.
You can order plants from our website, from our printed catalog, by phone, or come visit our nursery. Our nursery is open to visitors seasonally.
Search for Plants in Our Catalog
Enter the name, or part of the name, of a plant you are looking for:
Go-Green Holiday Sale 2021!
through December 19, 2021!Enjoy a special savings when you order a minimum of $100.00 in plants, and receive a 15% discount!
If you are not ready for a plant delivery, you can purchase a $100 Gift Certificate for 15% off, which means $100.00 worth of plants for only $85.00 (They make fantastic Christmas presents - don't forget one for yourself....cash it in next spring!)
Our online sale lasts through December 19, 2021. Mention code "Go-Green 2021" in the customer comments section of the order confirmation page to receive the discount. All orders must be shipped by December 21, 2021. All ordered items must be in-stock. Don't worry, we'll deduct the sale discount when we download your order when you mention "Go-Green 2021".
Digging Dog goes on Holiday!
November 25 thru November 27, 2021 and
December 25 thru January 1, 2022
We will be closed to give our plant and paper wranglers some time to rest and enjoy a bit of holiday cheer. Our trusty website will still be available for on-line orders
2021 Digging Dog T-Shirts have arrived!
"The Promise of a Garden"
in Heather Cardinal, Heather Deep Teal , Heather Black & Charcoal
Sizes: M thru XL!
$25.00 each, plus shipping
Please note: our new t-shirts are not currently listed on our website.
If you are interested in ordering please call (707)937-1130 or 937-1235, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll call you back.
We are shipping throughout the fall, weather permitting!We carefully monitor for inclement weather. However, you may wish to contact your local Botanical Garden or Master Gardener's Program for safe fall planting tips specific to your hardiness zone.
Open for curb-side pick up!
Wednesday thru Monday
10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
We're sorry that we cannot accomodate on-site or walk-in customers at this time.
There are a few things we wanted you to know to help us help you receive your plants in a timely fashion
Please take a look at the following info:
• Is your email address correct? To receive our emails in your inbox, please add email@example.com to your contacts.
• Please note that your payment method will not be charged until Digging Dog has prepared your order for shipping, unless other arrangements are made.
• Digging Dog Nursery’s plants are exposed to all of the natural elements, and are grown with a low-carbon footprint. That said, their shipping readiness is dependent on the weather.
• You may receive your order in 1 or more shipments, and not until the plants are ready.
• Digging Dog Nursery is tended by a team of about a dozen paper and plant wranglers, and is not a big mass market operation.
• It may take 5 days to 2 weeks to receive shipping and availability status once your order is submitted.
• We appreciate your patience, kindness and respect.
• Multiple inquires may cause your order to be delayed.
Are you thinking about contacting us? Please view some F.A.Q.'s
• POT SIZES: Our pot sizes are only listed on the Trees section, as our inventory changes and grows so quickly that it is impossible to list the container sizes. If you have concerns, please submit a list and we will gladly let you know their sizes. We ship well-established plants which are grown in the following container sizes:
Small band: 2-½" square x 5" deep
Medium Band: 3" square x 5-½" deep - (The majority of our perennials & grasses)
Squat Band: 3-¾" square x 4-½" deep
Large Band: 4 square x 6 deep - (Most of our trees & many of our shrubs)
Digging Dog ships potted plants in their containers, and their firm intact root balls are inspected before shipping.
• YOU DIDN'T RECEIVE AN E-MAIL FROM US?: Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contacts to receive our emails directly in your Inbox, otherwise kindly check your Spam or Junk email folder for an automated order acknowledgement from us.
• MINIMUM ORDER: We cannot make exceptions to our minimum order policy.
• Want to read about our sustainable horticultural practices?: Perhaps you may be interested in reading a little bit about our philosophy here at the nursery. We are deeply committed to growing plants in a low-carbon footprint fashion. The majority of our plants are exposed to all of the natural elements. They are either grown outside or in open-sided cold frames, not in climate controlled greenhouses or with the use of growth enhancers and excessive fertilizer applications. We believe this process produces an adaptable and stronger plant. Naturally the weather that we experience during the late winter and early spring months plays an enormous role in a crop’s readiness date for spring shipping. That said, we are sadly well aware that there can be delays in projected ship dates, which in turn can cause customer frustrations.
Current Staff's Favorite Plant
Endemic to both Asia and North America, this vast group of graceful cold-hardy shrubs includes more than 150 species and numerous cultivars that are moderate to fast-growing. Our reliable Viburnum offerings sprout dashing deciduous or evergreen foliage with an array of leaf shapes and textures. Their gorgeous flowers unfurl in either a lace-cap style or dome shape, with species such as V. carlesii and V. x burkwoodii wafting a delectable scent. Many don lustrous bird-friendly fruit, ranging from red to dark purple to black, while others blaze with autumn color. Preferring sun or part shade, these undemanding shrubs can be ensconced in large containers and shrubby borders, or featured as a stellar specimen, clipped into an informal dense hedge or planted in a drift.
Revel in Late Season Repose……
As November draws to a close, a quieter mood prevails in our gardens. Many perennials are either dormant or getting ready for their winter’s rest. Though, some of the more stalwart ones, especially those that are located in protected spots still present a foliar aspect plus a handful of blooms. The blades and dried buff or silver-laced inflorescences of quite a few ornamental grasses thankfully remain standing, providing movement and delightful rustling sounds. Many deciduous and evergreen shrubs and trees continue to hold our interest either with fall color, artful bark and branching patterns or year-round foliage. The plants that we chose for this newsletter captured my attention, as I was strolling with my trusty canine cohort, Boobah this past week.
All of us plant wranglers at Digging Dog hope you have a wonderful holiday with family and friends, and perhaps find some time to enjoy your garden.