The Panicums we’ve chosen are warm season prairie grasses native to North America. Resistant to heat, drought and extreme cold, Switch Grass hosts a cloud of inflorescences—a mystifying hologram of tiny red seeds that mature to black in late summer. If grown in drifts and not cut back until early spring, Panicums promise a lively winter show. After several frosty nights, they stiffen and adopt the warm glowing color and soft rustling sound of wheat.
AVAILABLE SPRING 2020
Hats off to North Creek Nursery for this exceptional new Panicum that combines sensational good features with a brawny tough-as-nails temperament. Beneath copious gauzy looking amber-hued seed heads, trim ribbons of upright greenery retain their color ’til November, then transmute buttery yellow shades. Beloved by birds, butterflies, florists and horticulturalists, ‘Cape Breeze’ lauds early blooms plus a no-coddle compact habit, forbearing deer, disease, dry conditions and salt spray. (PP#24,895)
Size: 2' 0" – 2-1/2' high x 20" – 2' 0" wide.
Hardy to zone 4.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Panicum amarum ‘Dewey Blue’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Cloud Nine’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Heavy Metal’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Heiliger Hain’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Northwind’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Prairie Sky’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Purple Tears’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Rehbraun’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Rotstrahlbusch’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Ruby Ribbons’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Shenandoah’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Trailblazer’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Warrior’