This genus deserves its lofty names, which mean “eagle” and “dove,” because its intricate flowers have been said to resemble birds in flight. Beyond the symbolism of the flowers, the finely textured, widely varied species possess a gracefulness that is likely to carry you to heights of enjoyment. Whether trim dwarfs or fancy long-spurred varieties, Columbines are characterized by fern-like 3-lobed leaves. They are best suited for naturalizing in a woodland with dappled light, however the smaller species will thrive in a partially shaded rock garden.
Introduced more than 25 years ago by Jelitto Seeds, this sturdy German cultivar is a beacon of loveliness. Long, upstanding branched stems cushion the plethora of nodding salmon-pink blooms above glaucous blue-green foliage. ‘Heidi’ is ideal for garnishing your next bouquet or teaming with Brunnera ‘Mr. Morse’ or Ajuga ‘Black Scallop’ in a bright, yet not too sunny nook.
Size: 2-1/2' high x 15" wide.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Aquilegia atrata
- Aquilegia buergeriana ‘Calimero’
- Aquilegia canadensis ‘Pink Lanterns’
- Aquilegia chrysantha ‘Denver Gold’
- Aquilegia chrysantha ‘Yellow Queen’
- Aquilegia flabellata ‘Blue Angel’
- Aquilegia ‘Kristall’
- Aquilegia olympica
- Aquilegia rockii
- Aquilegia sibirica
- Aquilegia vulgaris plena ‘Ruby Port’
- Aquilegia vulgaris ‘Blue Barlow’
- Aquilegia vulgaris var. stellata ‘Green Apples’
- Aquilegia vulgaris ‘Leprechaun Gold’
- Aquilegia vulgaris ‘William Guiness’
- Aquilegia vulgaris ‘Woodside Gold’