Sometime around May a certain fragrance tells us that it’s time for sunny days and warm weather. It’s Nepeta! Catmint, as it is commonly called, is a free bloomer whose billowy mounds of blue-violet, lavender, pink or white flowers are as opulent as its aromatic foliage. Supposedly, this herb renders timid people fierce, and the botanist Tournefort tells of a hangman who couldn’t cut the mustard “until he chewed a little catmint root.” Have some Loosestrife around in case things get out of hand. Cut back in July for an encore in the fall.
While the species resides upon Japan’s sheltered coastal cliffs and the shady rocks along its mountain streams, ‘Sweet Dreams’ will love the bright shadows of your garden. Chubby cylindrical spikes garnished with long, pink-blushed white flowers and burgundy floral bracts render an eye-catching two-toned mecca for butterflies and bees. More acquiescent to shade and damp conditions than most Nepetas, the tidy upright deep green clump of large, lush serrated leaves provides a lovely color echo alongside Persicaria ‘Rosea’ in rich, somewhat moist abodes.
Size: 18" high x 2' 0" – 2-1/2' wide.
Hardy to zone 4.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Nepeta ‘Blue Dragon’
- Nepeta faassenii ‘Kit Cat’
- Nepeta x faassenii ‘Purrsian Blue’
- Nepeta x faassenii ‘Select Blue’
- Nepeta grandiflora ‘Dawn to Dusk’
- Nepeta grandiflora ‘Wild Cat’
- Nepeta grandiflorum ‘Summer Magic’
- Nepeta x ‘Joanna Reed’
- Nepeta kubanica ‘Bokratune’
- Nepeta latifolia
- Nepeta ‘Longipes’
- Nepeta nervosa
- Nepeta nuda ssp. albiflora
- Nepeta parnassica
- Nepeta ‘Pool Bank’
- Nepeta ‘Psfike (Little Trudy)™’
- Nepeta racemosa ‘Little Titch’
- Nepeta racemosa ‘Superba’
- Nepeta racemosa ‘Walkers Low’
- Nepeta reichenbachiana
- Nepeta sibirica ‘Souvenir d’ A. Chaudron’
- Nepeta x ‘Six Hills Giant’
- Nepeta ‘Snowflake’
- Nepeta stewartiana
- Nepeta subsessilis ‘Blue Dreams’
- Nepeta subsessilis ‘Cool Cat’
- Nepeta subsessilis ‘Washfield’