Our Panicums are warm season prairie grasses native to North America. Resistant to heat, drought and extreme cold, Switch Grass hosts a cloud of inflorescences—a mystifying hologram of tiny red seeds that mature to black in late summer. If grown in drifts and not cut back until early spring, Panicums promise a lively winter show. After several frosty nights, they stiffen and adopt the warm glowing color and soft rustling sound of wheat.
Panicum virgatum ‘Trailblazer’ (G-0076)
Selected from the native prairie grasses of the Midwest for its larger, showier seed heads, this graceful new cultivar has a long list of admirers, including several butterfly species. Sheer red-tinted flower clusters wave good-bye to summer as blue-green blades flaunt a blaze of old golds and maroons that promise to brighten your autumn and maintain a winter presence.
Blooms September – October.
Size: 4' 0" – 5' 0" high x 2' 0" – 3' 0" wide.
Hardy to zone 5.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Panicum amarum ‘Dewey Blue’
- Panicum cirgatum ‘Summer Sunrise’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Cape Breeze’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Cloud Nine’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Heavy Metal’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Heiliger Hain’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Northwind’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Prairie Sky’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Purple Tears’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Rehbraun’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Rotstrahlbusch’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Ruby Ribbons’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Shenandoah’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Thundercloud’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Warrior’