Innovative landscape architect Wolfgang Oehme, who included more than a million ornamental grasses in his designs, considered Molinias to be some of the very best performers of them all. Certainly the most kinetically exciting grass, Molinia’s dense arching tufts of deep green foliage offer sturdy stems holding delicate panicles that eventually age to a straw color and last for months. To heighten the drama, consider providing plenty of room and a dark background.
AVAILABLE MAY 2022
Long admired for its low growing, closely knit foliage, unique purple coloration and wispy-topped, wide-splayed flowering stems, this handsome, color-rich Molinia sprung forth as a chance seedling in one of Digging Dog Nursery’s display borders. Midsummer finds the neat, flowing green foundation infused with damson-plum hues, while firm, lean, arching stems turn purple, eventually broadcasting lavish raisin shades and glittering copper-colored seed heads in autumn. An opulent see-through specimen, ‘Purple Infusion’ can be showcased right up-front, accompanied by Clematis ‘Polish Spirit’, Eupatorium ‘Riesenschirm’ and Phlox ‘Nicky’.
Size: 3' 0" – 4' 0" high x 3' 0" – 4' 0" wide.
Hardy to zone 4.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Bergfreund’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Cordoba’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Karl Foerster’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Skyracer’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Staefa’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Heidebraut’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Moorflamme’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Strahlenquelle’
- Molinia caerulea ‘Dauerstrahl’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Edith Dudszus’
- Molinia caerulea ‘Moorhexe’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Transparent’
- Molinia caerulea var. caerulea ‘Variegata’
- Molinia litoralis ‘Windspiel’