Derived from the Italian primaverola, the name of this genus pays homage to the way its often early blossoms welcome spring. Many of the more than 400 species are at home in the moist climates of England, New Zealand and the Pacific Coast. The selections we offer are cold-hardy, yet will need ample water in warmer locales. Lovely planted en masse, Primroses are ideal for woodland gardens, damp borders, by a pond or streamside.
AVAILABLE SUMMER 2020
The pyramidal, Kniphoﬁa-like ﬂowers of this highly unusual Primula are bicolored, with purple at the base and reddish fuchsia at the apex. Perched on 15 in. stalks above oblong, blunt-tipped green basal foliage, the fanciful blooms provide perfumed accents either in large drifts or surrounded by Aruncus aethusifolius and Epimedium ‘Purple Pixie’.
Size: 12" – 15" high x 10" wide.
Hardy to zone 6.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Primula beesiana
- Primula bulleyana
- Primula capitata ssp. mooreana
- Primula capitata ‘Salvana’
- Primula cockburniana
- Primula denticulata var. Alba
- Primula denticulata ‘Blue Selection’
- Primula ‘Dunbeg’
- Primula elatior x ‘Silver Lace Purple’
- Primula elatior ‘Victoriana Gold Lace Red’
- Primula ‘Elizabeth Killelay’
- Primula florindae
- Primula marginata ‘Mauve Mist’
- Primula x polyantha ‘Dawn Ansell’
- Primula polyneura
- Primula rosea ‘Gigas’
- Primula vulgaris ‘Double Lilac’
- Primula waltonii