According to Smith’s Exotic Botany of 1805, “The more refined admirers of Nature” rate Astrantia among their favorite blossoms. The flowers resemble tiny enchanting fireworks: a starburst of bracts surround the spray of small blooms and splashy groups of buds shoot out from branched stems like the finale on the 4th of July. If a natural look is what you’re after, plant Masterworts near a lightly shaded patio or path where you can enjoy their detail. This is an ideal cut flower, fresh or dried.
Astrantia major ‘Roma’ (P-1434)
Evoking antique lace, pincushionesque rosy-red flowers are cozied within a decorative silver-hued rosette of pointy bracts. Slim branching stems plus handsome, loosely arranged deep green foliage compose the durable coddle-free clump. A stylish contender for bright shady areas, ‘Roma’s artful blooms heighten mixed plantings under trees, along water’s edge or in a border. (pp#11,470)
Size: 18" – 2' 0" high x 18" wide.
Hardy to zone 5.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Astrantia ‘Burgundy Manor’
- Astrantia major ‘Buckland’
- Astrantia major ‘Canneman’
- Astrantia major ‘Claret’
- Astrantia major ‘Hadspen Blood’
- Astrantia major ‘Lars’
- Astrantia major ‘Madeleine Van Bennekom’
- Astrantia major ‘Midnight Owl’
- Astrantia major ‘Pink Pride’
- Astrantia major ‘Ruby Wedding’
- Astrantia major ssp. involucrata ‘Shaggy’
- Astrantia major ‘Snow Star’
- Astrantia major ‘White Giant’
- Astrantia major ‘Moulin Rouge’