According to Smith’s Exotic Botany of 1805, “The more refined admirers of Nature” rate Astrantia among their favorite blossoms. The flowers resemble tiny enchanting fireworks: a starburst of bracts surround the spray of small blooms and splashy groups of buds shoot out from branched stems like the finale on the 4th of July. If a natural look is what you’re after, plant Masterworts near a lightly shaded patio or path where you can enjoy their detail. This is an ideal cut flower, fresh or dried.
Resembling an elaborate centerpiece, mounded flower heads, backed in pale green and tipped in burgundy make a glittery appearance on stiff, maroon-black pointed bracts. This darkly colored base is unique and sets ‘Moulin Rouge’ apart from other Astrantia cultivars. Strong supple stems and glossy, deep cut greenery give way to the lavish pageant of large, long-blooming inflorescences that cast their beguiling spell upon the garden. (pp#16549)
Size: 18" high x 18" wide.
Hardy to zone 4.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Astrantia ‘Burgundy Manor’
- Astrantia major ‘Buckland’
- Astrantia major ‘Canneman’
- Astrantia major ‘Claret’
- Astrantia major ‘Hadspen Blood’
- Astrantia major ‘Lars’
- Astrantia major ‘Madeleine Van Bennekom’
- Astrantia major ‘Midnight Owl’
- Astrantia major ‘Pink Pride’
- Astrantia major ‘Roma’
- Astrantia major ‘Ruby Wedding’
- Astrantia major ssp. involucrata ‘Shaggy’
- Astrantia major ‘White Giant’