Due to extremely high demand, any orders received after April 18th may not be processed for approximately 2-5 weeks. Please know our dedicated plant wranglers are utilizing all necessary resources and working as diligently as possible to ship your plants in a safe and timely fashion. Thank you for your orders, as well as your patience and understanding in these difficult times. We wish you good health and happy digging!
Innovative landscape architect Wolfgang Oehme, who included more than a million ornamental grasses in his designs, considered Molinias to be some of the very best performers of them all. Certainly the most kinetically exciting grass, Molinia’s dense arching tufts of deep green foliage offer sturdy stems holding delicate panicles that eventually age to a straw color and last for months. To heighten the drama, consider providing them with plenty of room and a dark background.
The cultivar name is German for wind’s game and this grass plays against the sky. Stretching far above mounding 15 in. high, verdant ribbonlike blades, supple stems entertain an aura of tiny copper-colored inflorescences. We position ‘Windspiel’ in the frontlines and plant bold perennials such as Helianthus ‘Gold Lace’ or Vernonia crinita behind to enjoy the subtle other worldliness that’s created by looking through its blooms.
Size: 6' 0" – 7' 0" high x 5' 0" wide.
Hardy to zone 4.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Bergfreund’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Cordoba’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Karl Foerster’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Skyracer’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Staefa’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Heidebraut’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Moorflamme’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Strahlenquelle’
- Molinia caerulea ‘Dauerstrahl’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Edith Dudszus’
- Molinia caerulea ‘Moorhexe’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Purple Infusion’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Transparent’