Variegated Purple Moor Grass
Innovative landscape architect Wolfgang Oehme, who included more than a million ornamental grasses in his designs, considered Molinias to be some of the very best performers of them all. Certainly the most kinetically exciting grass, Molinia’s dense arching tufts of deep green foliage offer sturdy stems holding delicate panicles that eventually age to a straw color and last for months. To heighten the drama, consider providing plenty of room and a dark background.
Applauded as one of the choicest variegated grasses, close-knit rounded tufts produce flat, slender arching green leaves with vibrant creamy-white and pale yellow longitudinal stripes. Countless gauzy buff and purple-hued flowers on slightly curving 2 ft. stalks sashay above ‘Variegata’s versatile habit that beams glowing golden foliage for autumn. This diminutive AGM recipient can be featured as a beguiling specimen or en masse in mixed borders, cottage gardens and at water’s edge, where it appreciates moist niches, dappled light and protection from hot afternoon sun.
Size: 2-1/2' high x 2-1/2' wide.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Bergfreund’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Cordoba’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Karl Foerster’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Skyracer’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Staefa’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Heidebraut’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Moorflamme’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Strahlenquelle’
- Molinia caerulea ‘Dauerstrahl’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Edith Dudszus’
- Molinia caerulea ‘Moorhexe’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Purple Infusion’
- Molinia caerulea ‘Transparent’
- Molinia litoralis ‘Windspiel’