Slender Veldt Grass
The soft inflorescences take their name from the Latin words penna and seta meaning feather-bristle. This alluring grass is a favorite, distinguished by arching, feathery bottlebrush flowers spilling over a cascading mound of foliage. A warm season grower, Fountain Grass welcomes hot weather and is widely distributed in both tropical and temperate areas.
A denizen of South Africa, this drought tolerant evergreen grass has low-growing narrow dark green blades that provide a verdant contrast to its caramel-colored tapers. The dense, abundantly produced inflorescences hover on jointed nearly invisible stems, some 2 to 3 ft. tall, while fashioning a playful see-through veil. Especially mesmerizing when grouped in a dry creek bed, a meadow or a water-wise garden, the Slender Veldt Grass asks only for a well-drained abode.
Size: 3' 0" – 4-1/2' high x 2' 0" wide.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Pennisetum alopecuroides ‘Foxtrot’
- Pennisetum alopecuroides ‘Cassian’
- Pennisetum alopecuroides ‘Ginger Love’
- Pennisetum alopecuroides ‘Hameln’
- Pennisetum alopecuroides ‘Moudry’
- Pennisetum alopecuroides ‘Piglet’
- Pennisetum alopecuroides ‘Red Head’
- Pennisetum ‘Fairy Tails’
- Pennisetum massaicum ‘Red Buttons’
- Pennisetum orientale
- Pennisetum orientale ‘Karley Rose’
- Pennisetum orientale ‘Tall Tails’
- Pennisetum slopeduroides ‘JS Jommenik’