The soft inflorescences take their name from the Latin words penna and seta meaning feather-bristle. This alluring grass is a favorite, distinguished by arching, feathery bottlebrush flowers spilling over a cascading mound of foliage. A warm season grower, Fountain Grass welcomes hot weather and is widely distributed in both tropical and temperate areas.
Selected by Intrinsic Perennials’ owner, Brent Horvath, ‘Red Head’ bolsters wondrous quantities of deep purple buds and huge, furry bottlebrush-like muted violet plumes, some 9 in. long and 3 in. wide. The stylish long lasting inflorescences appear earlier than most alopecuroides above a rounded arching green fountain. Projecting a tailored appearance throughout the season, which brightens autumn with golden yellow hues, this Pennisetum ‘National Arboretum’ offspring can be planted in drifts for kinetic drama or utilized as a marvelous color-rich specimen amid perennials.
Size: 4' 0" high x 4' 0" wide.
Hardy to zone 5.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Pennisetum alopecuroides ‘Foxtrot’
- Pennisetum alopecuroides ‘Cassian’
- Pennisetum alopecuroides ‘Ginger Love’
- Pennisetum alopecuroides ‘Hameln’
- Pennisetum alopecuroides ‘Moudry’
- Pennisetum alopecuroides ‘Piglet’
- Pennisetum ‘Fairy Tails’
- Pennisetum massaicum ‘Red Buttons’
- Pennisetum orientale
- Pennisetum orientale ‘Karley Rose’
- Pennisetum orientale ‘Tall Tails’
- Pennisetum slopeduroides ‘JS Jommenik’
- Pennisetum spathiolatum