Bluebird Smooth Aster
We never tire of Aster’s cheerful daisy faces and the profusion of colors and sizes that make up this genus, from 6 ft. giants to tiny dwarf alpines. Our Asters, large and small, are tried and true performers in ordinary garden soil and full sun. Generally late summer bloomers, they provide lots of oomph when many perennials have petered out.
If you are looking for a Aster with engaging late season color, impeccably handsome mildew resistant foliage and a medium-sized frame that never needs staking, look no farther! Clad in glabrous, bluish green leaves, the vase-shaped clump showcases numerous broad, bouquetlike clusters of single, one inch wide, delicately rayed petals gathered by gilded centers. The jubilant floral display is elevated on red-hued stems and seems to cover the entire top half of the plant. Undeterred by varied moisture levels and soil types, ‘Bluebird’ is a Mt. Cuba Center introduction.
Size: 4' 0" high x 2' 0" – 2-1/2' wide.
Hardy to zone 4.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Aster asperulus
- Aster ‘Bill’s Big Blue’
- Aster ‘Bridal Veil’
- Aster ‘Cassie’
- Aster ‘Coombe Fishacre’
- Aster cordifolius
- Aster cordifolius ‘Avondale’
- Aster cordifolius ‘Chieftain’
- Aster cordifolius ‘Little Carlow’
- Aster divaricatus
- Aster divaricatus ‘Beth Chatto’
- Aster ericoides hyb. ‘Ringdove’
- Aster ericoides ‘Golden Spray’
- Aster ericoides ‘Monte Cassino’
- Aster x frikartii ‘Monch’
- Aster laevis ‘Climax’
- Aster lateriflorus ‘Bleke Bet’
- Aster lateriflorus ‘Lady in Black’
- Aster lateriflorus var. horizontalis ‘Prince’
- Aster lateriflorus ‘White Lovely’
- Aster macrophyllus ‘Twilight’
- Aster novae-angliae ‘Harrington’s Pink’
- Aster novae-angliae ‘Purple Dome’
- Aster novae-angliae ‘Violetta’
- Aster novi-belgii ‘Blue Danube’
- Aster novi-belgii ‘White Climax’
- Aster oblongifolius ‘Dream of Beauty’
- Aster oblongifolius ‘October Skies’
- Aster oblongifolius ‘Raydon’s Favorite’
- Aster ‘Ochtendgloren’
- Aster pyrenaeus ‘Lutetia’
- Aster tataricus ‘Jindai’
- Aster turbinellus
- Aster umbellatus