Christmas Rose/Lenten Rose
Stories about this genus are countless. In medieval times, it was considered a weapon against witches, madness and evil spirits. Hellebores deserve a place in every garden, not only because of their supposed power, but because they bloom for a long time, early in winter, when the weather is cool and most other flowers are still dormant.
They like moist, loamy soil with lime and leaf mold. We like them as ground covers for deciduous shrubs, conifers, or broad-leafed evergreens, and when possible plant them in an elevated spot to admire their nodding flowers.
After 15 years of meticulous record keeping and careful hand crossing by American breeder, Chris Hansen, this vigorous richly colored Hellebore is the first selection to be released from the Winter Thriller series. Enormous 3 ½ in. wide, long lasting mahogany red flowers are perfectly rounded, as sumptuous as velvet and copiously produced, exceeding some 70 per plant. Poised on sturdy pencil thick stems, the glamorous outfacing blooms showcase bright platinum-colored stamens, and when mature, transmute unusual green hues well above the evergreen bed of thick, dark lustrous leaves.
Size: 18" – 22" high x 2' 0" wide.
Hardy to zone 4.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Helleborus argutifolius
- Helleborus x ballardiae ‘HGC Pink Frost’
- Helleborus foetidus ‘Wester Flisk’
- Helleborus ‘Grape Galaxy (Winter Thriller™)’
- Helleborus x hybridus
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Blue Metallic Lady’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Mardi Gras Slate Shades’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Onyx Odyssey’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Painted’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Picotee Lady’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Red Lady’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘White Lady Spotted’
- Helleborus x lemonnierae ‘HGC Madame Lemonnier’
- Helleborus ‘Midnight Ruffles’
- Helleborus niger ‘HGC Jonas’
- Helleborus niger ‘HGC Joseph Lemper’
- Helleborus x nigersmithii ‘Ivory Prince’
- Helleborus ‘Sunshine Ruffles’