Christmas Rose/Lenten Rose
Stories about this genus are countless. In medieval times, it was considered a weapon against witches, madness and evil spirits. Hellebores deserve a place in every garden, not only because of their supposed power, but because they bloom for a long time, early in winter, when the weather is cool and many plants are still dormant. Most like moist, loamy soil with lime and leaf mold. We like them as ground covers for deciduous shrubs, conifers, or broad-leafed evergreens, and when possible plant them in an elevated spot to admire their flowers.
Beaming large sunny yellow double flowers with magenta-laced margins, this vigorous Chris Hansen cultivar introduces a new floral color to his Winter Thriller Hellebore series. Perky bright green nectaries embellish the aptly named cheerful blooms, which can number up to 50 or more, atop strong stems and a shiny Yew green bushy base of winning evergreen foliage. The ruffled flowers make a fulgent counterpoint to Pulmonaria ‘Bertram Anderson’s silver-dappled leaves and blue blossoms in shady garden niches.
Size: 18" – 22" high x 2' 0" wide.
Hardy to zone 4.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Helleborus argutifolius
- Helleborus x ballardiae ‘HGC Pink Frost’
- Helleborus foetidus ‘Wester Flisk’
- Helleborus ‘Grape Galaxy (Winter Thriller™)’
- Helleborus ‘HGC Ice n’ Roses® ‘Merlot’’
- Helleborus x hybridus
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Amber Gem’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Blue Metallic Lady’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Jade Tiger’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Mardi Gras Slate Shades’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Onyx Odyssey’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Painted’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Painted Doubles’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Picotee Lady’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Red Lady’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Sparkling Diamond’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘White Lady Spotted’
- Helleborus x lemonnierae ‘HGC Madame Lemonnier’
- Helleborus ‘Midnight Ruffles’
- Helleborus niger ‘HGC Jonas’
- Helleborus niger ‘HGC Jacob’
- Helleborus niger ‘HGC Joseph Lemper’
- Helleborus x nigersmithii ‘Ivory Prince’
- Helleborus ‘Red Racer’