Winter Jewels® Hellebore
Christmas Rose/Lenten Rose
Stories about this genus are countless. In medieval times, it was considered a weapon against witches, madness and evil spirits. Hellebores deserve a place in every garden, not only because of their supposed power, but because they bloom for a long time, early in winter, when the weather is cool and many plants are still dormant. Most like moist, loamy soil with lime and leaf mold. We like them as ground covers for deciduous shrubs, conifers, or broad-leafed evergreens, and when possible plant them in an elevated spot to admire their flowers.
AVAILABLE MAY 2020
Perhaps you could use a profusion of exotic-looking Lotus-style blooms to spruce up your wintertime garden. If so, consider this recent Marietta O’Byrne seed strain that swaggers large, fully double jade-green flowers embellished with burgundy-toned picotee edges plus ruby-infused streaks, speckles and dapples. Varying in color and markings, the fluffy yet sophisticated floral display lasts for several months atop stocky stems and a resilient, lustrous evergreen clump.
Size: 18" – 22" high x 18" – 2' 0" wide.
Hardy to zone 5.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Helleborus argutifolius
- Helleborus x ballardiae ‘HGC Pink Frost’
- Helleborus foetidus ‘Wester Flisk’
- Helleborus ‘Grape Galaxy (Winter Thriller™)’
- Helleborus x hybridus
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Blue Metallic Lady’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Mardi Gras Slate Shades’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Onyx Odyssey’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Painted’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Picotee Lady’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Red Lady’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘Sparkling Diamond’
- Helleborus x hybridus ‘White Lady Spotted’
- Helleborus x lemonnierae ‘HGC Madame Lemonnier’
- Helleborus ‘Midnight Ruffles’
- Helleborus niger ‘HGC Jonas’
- Helleborus niger ‘HGC Joseph Lemper’
- Helleborus x nigersmithii ‘Ivory Prince’
- Helleborus ‘Red Racer’
- Helleborus ‘Sunshine Ruffles’