According to Smith’s Exotic Botany of 1805, “The more refined admirers of Nature” rate Astrantia among their favorite blossoms. The flowers resemble tiny enchanting fireworks: a starburst of bracts surround the spray of small blooms and splashy groups of buds shoot out from branched stems like the finale on the 4th of July. If a natural look is what you’re after, plant Masterworts near a lightly shaded patio or path where you can enjoy their detail. This is an ideal cut flower, fresh or dried.
AVAILABLE MAY 2022
“Outstandingly strong and bold,” is how the late British garden writer Christopher Lloyd referred to this ornate gem. Especially long, soft-looking white bracts that are fringed with green, cradle the delicate, frosty pale pink corsages and gain ‘Shaggy’ its name. Planted en masse and superimposed against Actaea ‘Brunette’, the sturdy striated stems and deeply lobed spring green leaves project a verdurous mood.
Size: 2-1/2' high x 2' 0" wide.
Hardy to zone 5.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Astrantia ‘Burgundy Manor’
- Astrantia major ‘Buckland’
- Astrantia major ‘Canneman’
- Astrantia major ‘Claret’
- Astrantia major ‘Hadspen Blood’
- Astrantia major ‘Lars’
- Astrantia major ‘Madeleine Van Bennekom’
- Astrantia major ‘Midnight Owl’
- Astrantia major ‘Pink Pride’
- Astrantia major ‘Roma’
- Astrantia major ‘Ruby Wedding’
- Astrantia major ‘Snow Star’
- Astrantia major ‘White Giant’
- Astrantia major ‘Moulin Rouge’