Among the most exuberantly blooming plants this side of the Mississippi, Penstemon are part of the enchantment of the West. A member of the Snapdragon family, even cultivated varieties retain a natural air, with dainty, long trumpet flowers and 5 (pent) prominent stamens. Sturdy and easily cultivated, species usually range from 1 to 3 ft. tall, and vary in color from white to pink to purple to deep wine-red to blue—one for every sunny spot. Trim after the first bloom to encourage a repeat flowering, and cut to the crown in autumn for strong growth next season.
Standing head and shoulders above the rest of our Penstemon offerings, this statuesque selection sends strong straight stalks soaring to a height of 5 feet topped with long blooming dusty purple flowers. The plump blossoms are highlighted by lighter throats and are borne in the leaf axils along impressive 10 in. bloom spikes, while good-sized opposite foliage–apple green, triangular and somewhat sticky–boldly wraps the tall stems. Drawn to this striking Penstemon some 20 years ago at the U.C. Davis Arboretum, we still applaud its singular beauty and stalwart drought tolerance.
Size: 5' 0" high x 2' 0" wide.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Penstemon ‘Alice Hindley’
- Penstemon ‘Bev Jensen’
- Penstemon ‘Blackbird’
- Penstemon ‘Blue Midnight’
- Penstemon ‘Dark Towers’
- Penstemon ‘Elizabeth Cozzens’’
- Penstemon ‘Enor’
- Penstemon ‘Geoff Hamilton’
- Penstemon ‘Ghent Purple’
- Penstemon ‘Gilchrist’
- Penstemon gloxinioides ‘White Bedder’
- Penstemon heterophyllus ‘Züriblau’
- Penstemon ‘Hidcote Pink’
- Penstemon ‘King George V’
- Penstemon x mexicali ‘Pike’s Peak Purple’
- Penstemon x mexicali ‘Red Rocks’
- Penstemon x mexicali ‘Sunburst Amethyst’
- Penstemon x mexicali ‘Sunburst Ruby’
- Penstemon ‘Port Wine’
- Penstemon ‘Purple Tiger’
- Penstemon ‘Raven’
- Penstemon ‘Schoenholzeri’
- Penstemon ‘Stapleford Gem’
- Penstemon ‘Thorn’
- Penstemon ‘Violet Kissed’
- Penstemon virgatus ‘Blue Buckle’