Among the most exuberantly blooming plants this side of the Mississippi, Penstemon are part of the enchantment of the West. A member of the Snapdragon family, even cultivated varieties retain a natural air, with dainty, long trumpet flowers and 5 (pent) prominent stamens. Sturdy and easily maintained, species usually range from 1 to 3 ft. tall, and vary in color from white to pink to purple to deep wine-red to blue—one for every sunny spot. Trim after the first bloom to encourage a repeat flowering, and cut back in autumn for strong growth next season.
Large trumpet-style blooms feature luxurious wine-hued tubes plus milky white throats inscribed with claret nectar guides. All this floral grandeur lodges upon a stately glossy foundation of erect stout red-tinged stems and winsome narrow green leaves. Celebrated as one of the best Penstemon cultivars, ‘Port Wine’ makes a heady bee-loving addition to containers, easy-care borders or bouquets.
Size: 3' 0" high x 3' 0" wide.
Hardy to zone 7.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Penstemon ‘Alice Hindley’
- Penstemon ‘Bev Jensen’
- Penstemon ‘Blackbird’
- Penstemon ‘Blue Midnight’
- Penstemon x iapas x ‘Hidalgo’
- Penstemon ‘Dark Towers’
- Penstemon ‘Elizabeth Cozzens’’
- Penstemon ‘Enor’
- Penstemon ‘Firebird (Ruby/Schoenholzeri)’
- Penstemon ‘Garnet’
- Penstemon ‘Geoff Hamilton’
- Penstemon ‘Ghent Purple’
- Penstemon ‘Gilchrist’
- Penstemon gloxinioides ‘White Bedder’
- Penstemon heterophyllus ‘Züriblau’
- Penstemon ‘Hidcote Pink’
- Penstemon ‘King George V’
- Penstemon x x mexicali ‘Pike’s Peak Purple’
- Penstemon x mexicali ‘Psmyers’
- Penstemon x mexicali ‘Red Rocks’
- Penstemon x mexicali ‘Sunburst Amethyst’
- Penstemon x mexicali ‘Sunburst Ruby’
- Penstemon ‘Purple Tiger’
- Penstemon ‘Raven’
- Penstemon ‘Schoenholzeri’
- Penstemon ‘Stapleford Gem’
- Penstemon ‘Thorn’
- Penstemon ‘Violet Kissed’
- Penstemon virgatus ‘Blue Buckle’