Among the most exuberantly blooming plants this side of the Mississippi, Penstemon are part of the enchantment of the West. A member of the Snapdragon family, even cultivated varieties retain a natural air, with dainty, long trumpet flowers and 5 (pent) prominent stamens. Sturdy and easily cultivated, species usually range from 1 to 3 ft. tall, and vary in color from white to pink to purple to deep wine-red to blue—one for every sunny spot. Trim after the first bloom to encourage a repeat flowering, and cut to the crown in autumn for strong growth next season.
Arising from a Jelitto Seeds cross between a Mexican and a U.S. species, this compact, ruby-red beauty asserts an enduring versatile nature.
Undaunted by winter cold, summertime heat and humidity, ‘Sunburst Ruby’ bursts into bloom, announcing a wealth of richly colored tubes brightened by white throats.
A stalwart yet poised leafy base features sturdy stems and glistening slender green foliage that maintains a handsome presence throughout the season, and can be associated with Geranium ‘Orion’ and Helianthemum ‘St. Mary’s’.
Size: 16" high x 16" wide.
Hardy to zone 6.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Penstemon ‘Alice Hindley’
- Penstemon ‘Bev Jensen’
- Penstemon ‘Blackbird’
- Penstemon ‘Blue Midnight’
- Penstemon x iapas x ‘Hidalgo’
- Penstemon ‘Dark Towers’
- Penstemon ‘Elizabeth Cozzens’’
- Penstemon ‘Enor’
- Penstemon ‘Firebird (Ruby/Schoenholzeri)’
- Penstemon ‘Garnet’
- Penstemon ‘Geoff Hamilton’
- Penstemon ‘Ghent Purple’
- Penstemon ‘Gilchrist’
- Penstemon gloxinioides ‘White Bedder’
- Penstemon heterophyllus ‘Züriblau’
- Penstemon ‘Hidcote Pink’
- Penstemon ‘King George V’
- Penstemon x mexicali ‘Pike’s Peak Purple’
- Penstemon x mexicali ‘Red Rocks’
- Penstemon x mexicali ‘Sunburst Amethyst’
- Penstemon ‘Port Wine’
- Penstemon ‘Purple Tiger’
- Penstemon ‘Raven’
- Penstemon ‘Schoenholzeri’
- Penstemon ‘Stapleford Gem’
- Penstemon ‘Thorn’
- Penstemon ‘Violet Kissed’
- Penstemon virgatus ‘Blue Buckle’