(‘Andenken an Friedrich Hahn’)
Among the most exuberantly blooming plants this side of the Mississippi, Penstemon are part of the enchantment of the West. A member of the Snapdragon family, even cultivated varieties retain a natural air, with dainty, long trumpet flowers and 5 (pent) prominent stamens. Sturdy and easily maintained, species usually range from 1 to 3 ft. tall, and vary in color from white to pink to purple to deep wine red to blue—one for every sunny spot. Trim after the first bloom to encourage a repeat flowering, and cut back in autumn for strong growth next season.
A 1918 German introduction that was distributed world-wide by Dutch nurseries and later renamed by famed horticulturist Graham Stuart Thomas, this lovely semievergreen hybrid boasts gem-inspired colors coupled with superb winter hardiness. Garbed in narrow lance-shaped greenery, the handsome, well-branched clump hosts a slew of long-lasting garnet-red tubular blooms, sporting snazzy red-striped white throats, on slender burgundy-infused stems. Ideal for borders, butterfly plantings or cottage gardens, ‘Garnet’s vigorous medium-sized stance appreciates good drainage and can be planted amid Lavandula ‘Super Blue’ and Teucrium fruticans (select form).
Size: 2' 0" high x 2' 0" wide.
Hardy to zone 7.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Penstemon ‘Alice Hindley’
- Penstemon ‘Bev Jensen’
- Penstemon ‘Blackbird’
- Penstemon ‘Blue Midnight’
- Penstemon x iapas x ‘Hidalgo’
- Penstemon ‘Dark Towers’
- Penstemon ‘Elizabeth Cozzens’’
- Penstemon ‘Enor’
- Penstemon ‘Firebird (Ruby/Schoenholzeri)’
- Penstemon ‘Geoff Hamilton’
- Penstemon ‘Ghent Purple’
- Penstemon ‘Gilchrist’
- Penstemon gloxinioides ‘White Bedder’
- Penstemon heterophyllus ‘Züriblau’
- Penstemon ‘Hidcote Pink’
- Penstemon ‘King George V’
- Penstemon x x mexicali ‘Pike’s Peak Purple’
- Penstemon x mexicali ‘Psmyers’
- Penstemon x mexicali ‘Red Rocks’
- Penstemon x mexicali ‘Sunburst Amethyst’
- Penstemon x mexicali ‘Sunburst Ruby’
- Penstemon ‘Port Wine’
- Penstemon ‘Purple Tiger’
- Penstemon ‘Raven’
- Penstemon ‘Schoenholzeri’
- Penstemon ‘Stapleford Gem’
- Penstemon ‘Thorn’
- Penstemon ‘Violet Kissed’
- Penstemon virgatus ‘Blue Buckle’