A profusion of oblong, catkin-like blooms resides above decorative pinnate foliage, generating interest for months. Happiest in a sunny spot where the soil stays moist, these hearty perennials offer contrasting clarity to softer, less defined forms in borders or in more naturalized plantings.
AVAILABLE SPRING 2022
Derived from a Korean collection of Sanguisorba officinalis, this snazzy Sanguisorba was selected by Dutch plantsman Piet Oudolf for its deep ruby-red bobbles, perched on tall stiffer stems. Whether in the border or a meadow planting, a vase or frost covered in the garden’s winter light, their distinctive silhouette inspires as much drama as a gathering thunder head. A green bed of pinnate foliage with toothed leaflets launches the strong floral display that can be superimposed against tall silver-plumed Miscanthus, whorled Veronicastrum blooms and Helianthus ‘Capenoch Star’.
Size: 3' 0" – 4' 0" high x 2' 0" wide.
Hardy to zone 4.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Sanguisorba ‘Blackthorn’
- Sanguisorba ‘Cangshan Cranberry’
- Sanguisorba hakusanensis
- Sanguisorba hakusanensis ‘Lilac Squirrel’
- Sanguisorba menziesii
- Sanguisorba menziesii ‘Wake Up’
- Sanguisorba obtusa
- Sanguisorba officinalis
- Sanguisorba officinalis ‘Arnhem’
- Sanguisorba officinalis ‘Chocolate Tip’
- Sanguisorba officinalis ‘Crimson Queen’
- Sanguisorba officinalis ‘Martins Mulberry’
- Sanguisorba officinalis ‘Tanna’
- Sanguisorba ‘Pink Tanna’
- Sanguisorba tenuifolia ‘Alba’
- Sanguisorba tenuifolia ‘Pink Elephant’